Applies To: Named, TVO, Mobile TVO
This communication serves as notification of the upcoming Windows Release, named “20H1”, and the Market Development Agreement (MDA) Milestone 1 Windows Release Testing details associated with its release.
Contact MDA Help with questions.
Windows Release Testing Timeline
The MDA Milestone 1 testing window for 20H1 will take place between February 3rd, 2020 and March 27th, 2020. OEM may begin testing as early as December 16th and results will be accepted. The most current build posted to EEAP or WIP at that time will be acceptable to start testing.
February 6, 2020 update: Microsoft is aware that some testing may be delayed due to the impact of the Coronavirus. Please continue testing and submitting results weekly if you are not impacted by the extension of the Lunar New Year holiday. If you are impacted, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Windows Release Testing Test Guidance Document
The 20H1 Windows Release Test Guidance will be posted to DPC no later than December 12th.
Windows Release Testing Requirements
Under MDA Milestone 1 partners are incented to test Windows 10 devices distributed two years prior to the latest Windows release to manufacturing (RTM) date to ensure compatibility of Windows 10 devices with the latest Windows Release. Per the MDA Program Letter, Microsoft will provide notification that a Windows Release is forthcoming and requires testing. This communication is to serve as notification.
In summary, the testing requirements for this milestone are:
- Make commercially reasonable efforts to test distributed Windows 10 devices, dating back two years prior to the latest Windows 10 RTM date, to ensure the devices will support the latest Windows Release. This includes devices under development that will release or are planned to be released to the general public three months after the Windows Release RTM.
- Update the status of the tested devices at least one time a week during the testing period or until the testing of the tested devices is completed.
- File a bug for each issue that is found during testing, and the identified bugs are to be fixed in a mutually agreed upon manner prior to Windows Release RTM. This includes bugs found by Independent Hardware Vendors (IHVs).
- Submit the test results for each device that has been tested to Microsoft using the template supplied in the test requirements to the MDA Help alias no later than March 27th, 2020.
Microsoft Partner Center and Microsoft Collaborate Onboarding
To meet the Windows Release Testing requirements under MDA Milestone 1, it is necessary to create a Microsoft Partner Center account. Microsoft Partner Center is used for submitting bugs and downloading content, both of which are required under MDA Milestone 1. It is also necessary to have access to Microsoft Collaborate. Microsoft Collaborate allows you to download builds, specs, documents and other information, as well as submit bugs during testing.
- Microsoft Partner Center: If you don’t already have access, follow the instructions Create a Partner Center account to create your account. When you have created your Microsoft Partner Center account, request access to the Hardware tab by contacting your Account Manager for details.
- Microsoft Collaborate: To onboard and get access to the Microsoft Partner Center Collaborate tab, follow the Microsoft Collaborate Onboarding Instructions. This will register the Microsoft Partner Center account you created above, with Microsoft Collaborate.
Windows Release Testing Test Builds
Accessing test builds of 20H1 can occur in two ways:
- Partners who take part in the Enterprise Early Access Program (EEAP) can get access through that program.
- All OEM partners may get access through the Windows Insider Program (WIP).
Partners are to move to utilize the latest build immediately upon its release through EEAP or WIP, to ensure the latest build is used to complete testing.
Testing should be performed against a build that is no later than a week old as that latest build will contain bug fixes.
Windows Release Testing Scope
For the 20H1 Windows Release, there are multiple scenarios that a device can align to. These are listed below, and the table provides some guidance for each scenario.
- Model shipped only with Redstone 4 (RS4) preinstalled.
- Model shipped only with Redstone 5 (RS5) preinstalled.
- Model shipped only with 19H1 preinstalled.
- Model shipped only with 19H2 preinstalled.
- Model shipped with RS4 and RS5 preinstalled.
- Model shipped with RS5 and 19H1 preinstalled.
- Model shipped with RS4, RS5 and 19H1 preinstalled.
- Model shipped with RS5, 19H1 and 19H2 preinstalled.
- Model shipped with RS4, RS5, 19H1 and 19H2 preinstalled.